Monday, February 23, 2009

Um...a little help please?

I have been feeling particularly uninspired lately on what to write. I want to use this blog as a forum not just for posting family pictures, but also for writing. (I AM an English teacher, duh.) I feel a bit like a hypocrite because I'm always urging, nay, forcing, my students to write, yet I barely do any writing other than everyday stuff.

I don't even keep a journal.

I know, right!?

Admit it, you're thinking that I really am a hypocrite, huh?

Some of my students actually got me to do a memoir writing workshop along with them, and I loved it! I wrote about the night that Emmy was born, (no gory details), and it was really neat to go back and try to relive it. Um, no I will not share it here on the blog, but thanks for asking. No, really, it's a bit personal and I don't want people to judge me and think that I'm a bad writer. You know, the whole, "If you can't do then teach" idea.

I am further motivated because I saw my favorite high school teacher, Mr. Beeson, on a local morning TV show promoting a book that he wrote. (The UnValentine) It's not that I want to write a book right now, I just want to try and develop more as a writer.

So here's what I need from you peeps.
I need some writing prompts.
I give them to my students everyday, but I'm sick of those ones.

So can people tell me what they would find interesting to read about, or what they have really enjoyed writing about?

THANKS!!!

10 comments:

Emily said...

weird, i'm posting a writing prompt tomorrow (or maybe wednesday? can't remember which day i scheduled the post). it was, "name a time when you heard someone singing REALLY badly."

Lindsay said...

I think you should write about your first experience meeting me...:)Sorry, that's all I got for ya!! But I will think bout it.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

I don't think you are a hypocrite at all. Seriously. I think you should be happy with what you have written. I'm sure you know from experience that sometimes you write a lot and sometimes you don't. Just be grateful for the times you do write and remember that you have a lot more than what other people have.

With that said... I do think you should still aim to write more. Today I read a blog post about all of the scars my friend has. That was kind of interesting. How about writing about the places you want to travel to? Or some of the things you said you would never do, but you have done???

Megan said...

I don't see what the problem is... Just write a book! ;)

Boquinha said...

I like reading about people's feelings on topics. I like hearing opinions, feelings, raw emotion. I also LOVE satire and funny stuff. That blog I follow (bythelbs) always has great stuff. I can refer you to other blogs as well that I think have great writing. I can hardly WAIT to read more of your stuff. My other suggestion is talk to Mark--he's read A LOT of books on writing and has some really interesting insight.

J Fo said...

Thanks for the ideas! I'm starting to mull over some of these topics, but I also have the issue of actually making tome to read.

Stacy, feel free to get Mark to pipe in on the conversation! ;)

Dr. Mark said...

I'm flattered that you even care what I have to say. I've read a number of books on writing and nearly every book says the same thing: just write. Of course, finding prompts when you feel uninspired is a huge obstacle to the whole "just write" thing.

I guess all of it depends on what you feel like writing. Writing Magic by Gail Carson Levine (author of Ella Enchanted) is a great book that is aimed at "young" authors, but has lots of good advice for anyone wanting to write fiction. It's broken down into short chapters focusing on different aspects of writing (character development, story ideas, perspective, etc.) and each chapter ends with an assignment. Kate and I have started doing some of the exercises from the book and have had a lot of fun.

If you feel like doing personal narrative you can find a nice website with journal prompts and go from there. I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy hearing your take on the "mundane" and "ordinary" that comes with your job, raising a child, dealing with a husband who is a big kid. Any of that stuff would be great blog material.

I'm sure for the "great" writers, writing becomes instinct--something marginally interesting happens and a story is born! We've probably all had moments of greatness like this (Stacy's Tax Time post is hilarious), but it's just a matter of reflexively going to the computer and getting all of our thoughts and spins on our various experiences out onto the screen, even if we don't share it with everyone.

Stephen King also has a great book called On Writing that I found quite interesting and useful. It's probably the best book on writing I've read so far. Nicholas Sparks also has a section on his website called the Writer's Corner that has some good advice on writing novels (even if you aren't a fan of his writing). You said you aren't necessarily interested in writing a book right now, but it's interesting reading.

OK, so this comment is a bit longer than I originally planned. Hope it's helpful. Happy writing.

J Fo said...

Thanks Mark! Those are great ideas! I'm starting to feel more and more inspired.

Dr. Mark said...

Glad I could be of assistance.

Boquinha said...

Wow, sweetie, thanks for the shout out on that post! ;) And he's not just saying that because I complimented Greg in that one. :P