And this train of thought is why I don't have my lesson plans done for tomorrow...
I'm sitting here reading some background information on American Romanticism getting ready to teach it in class tomorrow. And I came across a quote by Oliver Wendell Holmes. He said, "Everybody wants to have a hand in a great discovery."
(This was after the first time a physician used gas to make a patient unconscious for a surgery. Holmes was the one to call it anesthesia, which means without feeling. Cool, huh?)
Is that true, though? Do ALL of us want that? I thought, "Sure, he's probably right, but I hate it when people overuse superlatives like, everybody and always."
Things never go well in our house when one of us uses superlatives. Unless Greg says, "You always make the best dinners!" It's usually something more like me saying, "You always leave your shoes here...or I always do the dishes!" or something along those lines.
We should all just be a little more political and not assume that everybody wants anything!
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Side tracked...
Posted by J Fo at 4:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love random posts like this. Are you sure you think we should "all" be a little more political? ;) :P Heheheheh. Greg's been pretty political on our blog!!
Stacy- I have heard about some of Greg's rants! Sorry! I didn't have a chance to get into that one but I heard he was in his 'arguing for argument's sake'mode. Sheesh...
LOL! No apologies necessary!! It's hilarious. I love Greg's comments. I think he's a lot of fun. No worries. (But read it if you get a chance--SO funny). He can really pick a fight!
Interesting thoughts. I agree hearing "you always make the best dinners" would be nice to hear. It's interesting to me that you disagreed (at least to some extent) with Holmes quote. I would have thought EVERYONE would want a hand in a great discovery too. You wouldn't? Or do you just think not everyone would? Sounds like you would be a fun teacher to listen to.
amen!
I love that you put these thoughts out there. I could not agree with you more!
BC
Post a Comment