Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Today is brought to you by the letter...S

Thanks to my SIL, Stacy, for this fun tag. The tag is “10 things you like that start with the letter _” and I was assigned the letter S.

So, without further ado . . . here are 10 Things I Like That Start With “S”:

1-Sweetness: This is one of Greg's self-created nick names. He got a hold of my mom's cell phone once and changed his name in her phone book from Greg to "Sweetness." Silly boy!
2-Stories: I love literature! The characters, the new worlds, and the connections that you find with in them. I also love to hear stories from other people. I learn so much about them, and myself through listening to other people's experiences.
3-Sarah: I have such a great sister. It's so nice to have someone in your life that knows you, and I mean KNOWS you - all of it, and still likes you in spite of it all. She has let me live with her, she has cleaned up my puke, she has shown me how to be a good mom, and she has laughed with me until we almost wet ourselves. Love you, sis!
4-Sunday: It's the day where I get to recharge all of my batteries - physical and spiritual.
5-Shoes: There's nothing better than a fresh pair of shoes to put a little pep in your step. I'm not big on heals, but give me a flip flop or a casual canvas flat, and I'm game.
6-Shopping: No I am not a shopaholic, but there is a certain buzz that I get when I find a good deal. I like to look a lot and buy a little. It can be therapeutic, cathartic even.
7-Shakespeare: I teach English. Need I say more? Okay, I will! My mom and I used to stay up late and watch Shakespeare movies and British sitcoms. I will not claim to have read all of his plays or poems, but I like what I have studied and see such value in working through something that can seem tough at first, but that you make it through. I go through phases, it depends on my mood, but my current favorite is Hamlet. (Maybe my mood is indecisive and murderous, I don't know.)
8-Simon Birch: If you haven't seen this movie, DO IT. Right. Now. SOOOOO sweet. I cry every time. WATCH IT.
9-Sassy Pants, (aka Emmy): I'm not gonna get all mommy squishy and teary, but, man, I LOVE this kid. I can't imagine my life without her. She brings us so much joy, hope, love, and laundry. I will be glad when she gets out of the smacking-mom-in -the-face phase, though.
10-School: It really is so much better the second time around. Being the teacher is a LOT better than being an adolescent. I really love teaching and working with my students. They're great girls. But I'm so glad to be on this side of the teenage awkward years!

Thanks for the great Tag, Stacy. I won't formally tag anyone, but if you want to do this fun tag, just comment and I'll assign you a letter.

7 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

You wouldn't think that would make me cry but it did, there is a tender spot there for me. I think you and Sarah are SO awesome, what a tremendous relationship you have. I must admit it is something that I long for terribly and I am so glad that you two are what and who you are to each other. I hope my girlies end up like you two!
I think the "sweetness" thing is pretty hilarious too!

Boquinha said...

Well done, Jess! I love the first one. I had no idea. :P Thanks for playing along!!

Emily said...

This is fun! The Sweetness one cracked me up. I love shoes and shopping and Shakespeare myself. Simon Birch makes me bawl, but I don't really like the movie that much. Too sad.

Casseron said...

BOOBS! - simon birch

Jillo said...

I have three sisters that I couldn't live without. I kinda feel bad for Ms. Lucy because all she got is big brothers. =)

Here is my confession, I do not like Shakesphere. I have tried and tried and just can't do it! I am a huge reader, but can't find the love for the icon of all literature. Sigh.

J Fo said...

Thanks ya'll. The Sweetness thing makes me laugh, too. And I totally understand that Shakepeare is not for everyone. Greg found some "No Fear Shakespeare" made by Sparknotes that were Graphic Novels. Really cool actually, and more approachable.

Boquinha said...

Awesome. I hadn't heard of those! I've ordered Macbeth and Merchant of Venice from the library! Thanks for sharing.